Because the little things make a big difference
At Crystalbrook Collection, we enjoy modern living through attitude, design, technology and a passion for a better world – or what we call #responsibleluxury.
We embrace environmental change to enhance, not compromise, the quality of our guest experiences.
We endeavour to always think and operate in a responsible and modern way that exceeds the demands of our environment and our customers.
Here are some examples of how we demonstrate #responsibleluxury
- We farm our own beef at Crystalbrook Station, located three hours inland from Cairns. This ensures we can offer locally sourced beef while also maintaining the highest levels of animal welfare.
- Over 80% of our fresh fruit and produce is sourced within a three-hour drive from Cairns.
- We have replaced traditional plastic guest room key cards with wooden keycards, made from 100% recycled wood.
- We’ve said no to plastic water bottles and instead offer compostable and biodegradable Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) paperboard containers along with reusable glass bottles in our Tower rooms.
- Our straws, disposable bags and take-away containers are plastic-free, made from corn, sugar cane and related environmentally friendly and fully degradable materials.
- Through the use of technology, such as in-room iPads, we have removed an estimated 90% of the paper found in a typical five-star hotel room. We also use technology in other parts of the hotel to reduce paper usage – as an example we run a paperless press office and paperless check-in and check-out.
- Where paper is required, we use recycled or Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified paper stocks only.
- Small plastic bathroom amenity bottles have been replaced with Crystalbrook Immersion large pump bottles. Crystalbrook Immersion is Crystalbrook’s bespoke amenity range featuring essential oils and indigenous Australian ingredients such as Davidson Plum and Rosella. By using large pump bottles, we save approximately 250,000 bottles each year.
- Even our coat hangers have had another life – they are 100% recycled made from pressed cardboard.
- We are a Founding Citizen and ongoing partner of the Citizens of Great Barrier Reef. Spearheaded by Earth Hour founder, Andy Ridley, Citizens of Great Barrier Reef is a social movement designed to change consumer understanding of how everyday actions have an impact on the Great Barrier Reef and overall environment.
- We recycle all possible guest waste material and we're part of the Containers for Change scheme.
- We work with OZHarvest to collect unused food and distribute to segments of the community where it is most needed.
- We have partnered with TerraCycle to provide a zero-waste approach to coffee capsules. This allows guests to enjoy quality Nespresso coffee without the guilt of what happens to the pod. Through TerraCycle, used pods and mechanically and/or manually separated into metals, organics and plastics. Metals are melted so they may be recycled. The organics (such as the coffee grounds) are composted. The plastics undergo extrusion and pelletization to be moulded into new recycled plastic products.
- We embrace renewable energy and extensively use solar power.