CC’s Bar and Grill Mac and Cheese
Easy, cheesy and all together tasty. Master this creamy and crunchy family favourite with our basic and delicious recipe
- 450g of dried elbow pasta
- 120g of unsalted butter
- Half cup of plain flour
- One and a half cups of whole milk
- Two and a half cups of half and half
- Four cups of grated medium sharp cheddar cheese
- Two cups grated Gruyere cheese
- Half tablespoon of sea salt
- Half teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of hot English mustard
- 100g corn flakes
- Preheat oven to 250°C and grease a 22 x 33cm baking dish, set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water with a pinch of salt and olive oil to boil. Add in dried elbow pasta and cook until al dente.
- Drain and run cooked pasta under cold water then drizzle with olive oil to stop from sticking.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Add hot milk one ladle at a time to and mix to gain a smooth and glossy consistency.
- Mix in two-thrids of the cheese mix, hot English mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- Fold in the cooked pasta and mix until evenly coated.
- Place into the prepared baking dish.
- Crush the corn flakes and place on the top, sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve your mac and cheese in the middle of the family table accompanied by a delicious green salad, because it’s all about balance!