Create Your Own Compost
Crystalbrook Earth Kids
Did you know more than 28% of what we throw away is food scraps and garden waste which could be used for compost instead?
Having your own little compost system is great for the environment!
Let's do it together. Watch our tutorial here.
What you will need:
- Plastic milk bottle
- A pin
- Dirt (not potting mix)
- Shredded paper
- Food scraps
- Spray bottle
What to do:
- Rinse your milk bottle with water
- Use the scissors (ask an adult for help) to cut the top off the bottle
- Push some holes in the bottom of the bottle with your pin
- Now it's time to layer your compost. Place one layer of dirt, then one layer of paper, and one layer of food scraps
- Use your spray bottle and add a few sprays of water to the compost
- Place your compost somewhere in the sunshine
- Every few days give the compost a mix and add your food scraps to it
As you continue to mix and add your food scraps it will turn into compost you can use on your garden.