Make Your Own Wind Turbine
Crystalbrook Earth Kids
Wind turbines are a super source of renewable energy and account for about 35% of all of Australia’s clean energy.
What you’ll need:
- An empty two litre milk/juice carton
- A hammer and nail
- Masking tape
- A jug of water
What to do:
- Punch a hole in the bottom right corner of the milk carton with the hammer and nail.
- Punch a hole in the centre of the top ridge of the carton for hanging.
- Cover the holes at the bottom with masking tape and put the string through the top hole
- Hang the carton outside (from a tree branch for example).
- Open the carton flap and fill the carton with water.
- Pull the tape off one of the corner holes and see what happens.
- Then pull the tape off two opposite corners to see what happens.
- Finally pull the tape off all corners and see what happens.
What you will have discovered was first discovered by Sir Isaac Newton: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. When water pours out of the small hole, its force pushes the carton in the opposite direction causing it to turn. The more holes, the faster the turn.
Source: Alliant Energy