Recycled Bird Houses
Crystalbrook Earth Kids
A cosy home for our winged-friends - every home needs one (or even two!).
Pop them around your backyard, on the balcony or anywhere with some sunshine and wait for the birds to come and nest. In no time your backyard will be singing.
What you’ll need:
- Large tetra pack milk or fruit juice carton
- Enamel paint to coat the exterior of the house
- Acrylic paint, crayons etc.
- Washi tape, felt, recycled scraps of coloured paper etc
What to do:
- Coat the carton with the enamel paint to keep it protected from the elements.
- Use scissors (or a knife) to cut a hole for the bird - make sure it is large enough for the bird to enter and keep its edges smooth so the bird doesn't get hurt!
- Paint the carton, glue paper or felt shapes on it. Play around and use your imagination to decorate the outside of your birdhouse.
- Make sure you cut a 'door' in the back of the house so you can have access inside for cleaning.
- Inside the house, add a handful of straw, grass or thin twigs for the bird to make itself at home.
- Hang the birdhouse in a safe spot in your garden and watch out for a bird to find its way into its new home.
Source: Green and Growing