Chef Jordan's Cauliflower Popcorn Recipe
Simple, snacky and incredibly more-ish, Executive Chef Jordan Staniford’s cauliflower popcorn is one of Forest's most popular dishes. Spiced and flash-fried, the cauliflower is served *hot* with harissa, lime and resort honey mayo.
- ½ a head of cauliflower
- 1½ cups gluten-free corn flour
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground Szechuan pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Canola oil to fry
- Sea salt to taste
- Remove the cauliflower stem and use a small paring knife to cut into small “popcorn” chunks. I cut them slightly larger as they are better eating as JUMBO popcorns!
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Steam or boil cauliflower pieces for approximately two minutes and then strain and toss through the dry spiced flour. TIP: I use a fine sieve to shake off any excess flour
- Heat oil in a saucepan to 170°C
- Carefully place batches of the coated cauliflower popcorn into your frying oil and cook until golden
- Use a slotted spoon to remove and place golden cauliflower popcorn onto absorbent paper towel
- Sprinkle with sea salt
- You can also sprinkle some chopped parsley or chives, if you like, and serve with your favourite sauce